Michael Szepetyk - Chair
Theodosij Buyniak - Honorary
Roman Medyk - Honorary
Buduchnist Credit Union opened its doors on May 29, 1952, with 162 members and over $22,000 in assets. It was founded by 25 forward-thinking Ukrainians who immigrated to Canada after WWll. Their mission was to create a financial cooperative whose combined assets would benefit both its members and the larger Ukrainian community in Canada. From its humble beginnings in an office on 140 Bathurst St. in Toronto, to a modern, full-service, multi-branch Ontario-wide financial institution, Buduchnist Credit Union has grown to become the largest Ukrainian Credit Union in Canada and the largest ethnic credit union in Ontario.
– In less than 10 years, Buduchnist Credit Union experienced rapid growth in both membership and assets. It grew from 162 members to over 1,000 in three years, with its assets ballooning from $22,000 to well over $1 million. Buduchnist Credit Union also expanded its member services by adding chequing and mortgage services to its list of financial products.
-1952 – Buduchnist Credit Union was granted an Ontario provincial charter
-1955 – Chequeing system introduced to members
-1955 – Obtained a license to offer mortgages to members
-1957 – Assets exceed $1 million
– Buduchinist Credit Union continued its steady growth. Membership increased by 55% and financial assets increased by 35%.
-1960 – Introduced children’s education funds
– The 1970s were the beginning of expansion and modernization at Buduchnist Credit Union. A computerized banking system was installed to better serve its members and the Bloor St. Branch opened in the heart of the Ukrainian Village in Toronto.
-1977 – Computerized banking system installed
-1977 – Bloor St. West Branch opens
– Expansion continued with the opening of two new branches. A new financial milestone was reached when assets exceeded $100 million.
-1985 – Scarborough Branch in St. Peter and Paul Seniors’ Residence opens
-1986 – Mississauga Branch opens
-1988 – Assets exceed $100 million
-1989 – BCU credit card introduced
– Buduchnist Credit Union bought and renovated a building on Bloor St. to house the new Head Office and Toronto Branch. It also opened branches in Ottawa and Hamilton, expanding its reach in Ontario. It introduced ATMs and the Interac System, making it more convenient for members to bank. A Patronage Plan was created to return profits to all Buduchnist Credit Union members and assets doubled to exceed $200 million.
-1990 – Ottawa Branch opens
-1991 – New Bloor St. W. Toronto Head Office and Toronto Branch opens
-1992 – ATM and Interac system are introduced
-1998 – Hamilton Branch opens
-1998 – Patronage Plan introduced to return Buduchnist Credit Union profits to its members
-1998 – Buduchnist pays out $500,000 to its members
-1999 – Assets exceed $200 million
– A new century brought more innovation and expansion to Buduchnist Credit Union. Online services and products were introduced to provide even more convenient banking options. Access to thousands of ATMs across Canada and the USA offered through the Exchange Network. Three new Branches were opened and assets grew to over $315 million. </p>
<p>-2001 – BCU Link introduced – providing members 24 hour access to BCU services </p>
<p>-2003 – Conquest Student Account introduced </p>
<p>-2003 – New Hamilton Branch location opened</p>
<p>-2004 – Buduchnist donates $500,000 to BCU Foundation </p>
<p>-2004 – Assets exceed $315 million </p>
<p>-2006 – North Toronto Branch opens </p>
<p>-2006 – High interest online “BCU Link Savings Account” introduced </p>
<p>-2007 – Joins the Exchange Network of ATMs across Canada </p>
<p>-2009 – Tax-Free Savings Account introduced </p>
<p>-2009 – Oakville Branch opens </p>
– Buduchnist Credit Union continued with its fast paced implementation of technological advancements. A new mobile app and E-Transfer system were introduced, allowing members the option of banking on their smart phones. A new financial milestone was reached when assets exceeded $500 million and Buduchnist Credit Union was rebranded as BCU Financial.
-2010 – Newlyweds Account introduced
-2010 – Assets exceed $500 million
-2011 – BCU Mobile banking and App is introduced
-2014 – E-Transfer System launched
-2015 – BCU Link App redesigned for Android and iOS
-2019 – Buduchnist Credit Union rebranded as BCU Financial
-2019 – BCU Financial launches updated mobile app, internet banking, and phone banking services
-2019 – BCU Financial introduces new Interac Flash Member Cards
-2019 – BCU Financial starts renovation of Toronto Head Office
BCU Financial is seeking an energetic person with a passion for analytical thinking to join our financial institution and pursue a career in accounting and finance. We are accepting applications for the position of Accounting Data Analyst. The successful applicant will perform a variety of moderately complex accounting and administrative procedures relating to credit union accounts. These procedures include processing entries to the general ledger, retrieving items posted to member accounts, balancing and reconciling general ledger and credit union accounts, maintaining program schedules, reporting, extracting and compiling financial data on request and maintaining related records.
For more information, click here.